Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Our Learning so Far About Machu Picchu

Some of our Questions Today Led to this Learning:
  • the people of Machu Picchu made mummies
  • the mummies' faces were covered with gold masks
  • it was built high up in the Andes Mountains in Peru
  • no one is sure why it was built. Maybe it was the emperor's vacation home or maybe a spiritual retreat or temple
  • there were giant steps carved out on the sides of the mountain that were used for farming
  • they used giant stones and rocks to build their structures
  • it is believed that 1000 people lived in this lost city
  • it is believed that the people believed that the emperor was a direct descendent of a god

3 comments:

  1. i liked your video and the owl was so funny great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I read this I had know idea that Machu Picchu was built in the Andes mountains in Peru. I wonder why they chose that point in the mountains?
    I also wonder if there is more to Machu Picchu then all of us know like maybe there is another point in the mountains of more artifacts that tell us the life of those people? I really learn alot thnx!
    Sami McKay Grade 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sami, I really like your thinking about Machu Picchu. I agree that there is probably more to it than meets the eye. I noticed from my reading that experts don't agree on why it was placed so high up on the Andes or why it was built there in the first place. Personally, I think it was "hidden" away so the Spanish invaders couldn't find it and it served as a safe haven for royalty and religious people. I would like to find out more about the Inca beliefs and religious customs.

    ReplyDelete